Saturday, April 19, 2008

Like... You Know?

I was having dinner with my father about a month ago and I kept catching myself using the phrase "you know." I immediately commented that this was really a horrible expression. What a ridiculous way to ask for acceptance or comment from the intended audience. This got me thinking... how prevalent is this phrased used by the public, politicians and self described "talking heads" on political/public affairs programs.

Seriously, try it some time. I have been quit surprised at how widely used this phrase really is. After reading an article in the Daily News about a week ago that the public image of the Valley from the 1950's is gone -- whites are less than 50 percent of the population now -- can we officially kill the "like" metaphors and insert the phrase "you know" as a cultural faux paux?

Hey, just a thought.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, the colors on this blog are absolutely hideous. Fix that shit!

Unknown said...

hey, I am still working on the colors. I know, I know.

Unknown said...

Drew-down's first blog! Interesting take you know...
Here's to many more mind-numbing posts! Cheers!

Daniel Freedman said...

You know... I've never really thought about it that way... ;)